directory-users mailing list archives

From "Accorsi, Carlo" <Carlo.Acco...@siemens.com>
Subject Question about I/O and VM failover
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 17:14:07 GMT
Hi,

We had a customer a couple of weeks ago call us and the JDBM store kept getting corrupted.
We'd rebuild the directory database from scratch and a couple days later it would
become corrupted again and would not start. It then became known that the Virtual Machine
ApacheDS was running on was failing over between two several times a day. In simple terms,
when a virtual machine fails over, the hypervisor suspends all I/O to the box, then moves
it to another host (hardware) then restores the I/O when it comes online again with the same
IP.

So my question is this. This failover process can sometimes take cases 10 or 20 seconds to
complete. During this time any thread trying to write to the filesystem cannot. This is likely
some sort of hardware problem but it got us wondering if there are any special considerations
for this type of scenario?  For example, are there configurations for thread write timeout?
For now, the machine is not failing over and everything is ok.

Many Thanks!!
Carlo