directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: StartTLS enforced
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:56:12 GMT
Le 25/02/16 16:33, s_humbi a écrit :
> Hello,does anybody know, if there is a way to force the ldap-client to use StartTLS ?
I dont wont to offer our ldap-clients an unsecure way to talk with our LDAP-Server.
> Yes I can disable the default-Port 389 and only enable the SSL-Port 636.But there is
written in the DS documentation: " **LDAPS** is considered as deprecated. You should always
favor startTLS instead. "
> And I also need the port 389 (with StartTLS) for replication, so i can not disable it.
> At the moment i use onlyTLSV1.2 (attribute ads-enabledProtocols). But the users can still
connect without TLS.
> I found this interesting paper:
> http://people.apache.org/~elecharny/ldapcon/Andrew%20Findlay-paper.pdf--> see Caption
caption:  "The correct and standard approach is to start LDAP without encryption and then
negotiate the TLS security layer. If necessary, the server can be configured to refuse all
operations other than 'Start TLS' until TLS is in place"

> Is this possible with Apache DS ?
> Many Thanks for helping ...Humbi

No, sorry, we can't enforce that atm. At least, here is no way to do
that through configuration.

And yes, this is missing. In OpenLDAP, you can enforce TLS through some
parameter, and I think that would be a good addition to ApacheDS.
Would you fancy creating a JIRA with such a demand ?

Thanks !