directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transactions on Apache Mavibot
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2016 14:15:53 GMT
Le 10/02/16 14:51, Roman Pastore a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
> I've been using Apache Mavibot lately to see if it would fit with a project
> that I have in mind. For this project I need to be able to manage the
> transactions made in the BTree. I saw that you provided beginTransaction()
> and commit() methods in the RecordManager but I'm not sure how to use them
> on a tree. I saw that the insert method from the BTree already opens/commit
> a transaction for every tuple inserted, but what if I want to be able to
> open a transaction make a bunch of write operations inserts/deletes and
> then commit so those operations are performed atomically as one (or not at
> all in case of a failure), is that possible? Thank you in advance.

This is a work in progress. We are doing a complete rewrite of this part
lately in a branch, as we need to be able, as you do, to support many
operation within a transaction. That would not only provide some
protection across operations, but also speed up the updates a lot (as we
will do the modifications in memory before flushing everything during
the commit(). A quick estimation is that the gain would be a factor 2 as
soon as 2 updates are done in a simple transaction, and potentially more
if more operations are to be done in one single transaction.

So, yes, it *will* be possible, but it's not yet available. I would say
that it's a matter of a couple of week, now I have to find those two
weeks to work on that...

May be you would be interested in participating in this effort ?