directory-users mailing list archives

From <Carlo.Acco...@ibs-ag.com>
Subject RE: pwdMustChange not working
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:29:51 GMT
Brock,
Not sure about that. The only thing I can think of is you may have the ads-pwdsafemodify set
TRUE.
We looked at this feature a couple years ago and I don't think it was implemented then but
it may be now in M19.
If that's the case, you could try setting it FALSE (and restarting).
The studio's UI might not have the ability to provide the existing password while changing.
I don't know.
If you post the full stack trace of the exception it may offer better clues.  Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: brock samson [mailto:brock.samson_@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 12:19 AM
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: RE: pwdMustChange not working

Carlo,

thank you for such detailed description.
i never mentioned in my initial post that i already had pwdPolicySubentry placed as a user's
attribute, though its value is pointing to ads-pwdId=default,ou=passwordPolicies,ads-interceptorId=authenticationInterceptor,ou=interceptors,adsdirectoryServiceId=default,ou=config,
which is the ootb password policy. the part that i did not perform was having the admin change
that user's password which results in pwdReset attribute being set. yet when i signed in as
an admin (uid=admin,ou=system) to apache studio and then proceeded to change a user's (uid=bob,ou=users,o=mycompany)
passwod, i got the following error: LdapNoPermissionException: trying to update password attribute
without the supplying the old password. do you know what i am doing wrong? should an admin
be forced to enter an old password? if that is the case, how do i make apache studio do that?
thanks.

> From: Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com
> To: users@directory.apache.org
> Subject: RE: pwdMustChange not working
> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 19:04:58 +0000
>
> Hi, we've been that feature for quite some time to force a user to change their password
after it's been reset by an admin.

> Make sure the user(s) you want this to affect have the pwdPolicySubEntry attribute set
on their entry with the  DN of the password policy entry.

> For example
>
> dn: uid=jsmith,ou=users,ou=int,o=company
> uid: jsmith
> cn: jsmith
> pwdPolicySubEntry: ads-pwdId=internalUsers,ou=passwordPolicies,ads-interceptorId=authenticationInterceptor,ou=interceptors,adsdirectoryServiceId=default,ou=
>  config
>
> Then on the policy entry itself, the attribute ads-pwdmustchange must be set TRUE.
> And he policy must be enabled, ads-enabled=TRUE
>
> If you've made changes to the policy, restart the server.
>
> Then if an admin, using the bind credentials (uid=admin,ou=system) sets the password
for jsmith, the  pwdReset attribute is added to their user entry.
> The next time jsmith binds with their credentials, you get a signal that the password
must change in the bind response.
> Here's some pseudo code:
>
> 			BindRequest bindRequest = new BindRequestImpl();
> 			bindRequest.setDn(dn);
> 			bindRequest.setCredentials(strPassword);
>
> 			LdapApiService codec = LdapApiServiceFactory.getSingleton();
> 			PasswordPolicyDecorator pwCtrl = new PasswordPolicyDecorator(codec,new PasswordPolicyImpl());

> 			bindRequest.addControl(pwCtrl);
> 			BindResponse bindResponse = connection.bind(bindRequest);
> 			PasswordPolicyResponse pw = null;
> 			PasswordPolicy pwPolicy = ((PasswordPolicyDecorator)ctrl).getDecorated();
>
> 		if (pwPolicy.hasResponse())
> 		{
> 			pw = pwPolicy.getResponse();
> 			// process password response.
>
> 			if (PasswordPolicyErrorEnum.CHANGE_AFTER_RESET == ctrl.getPasswordPolicyError())

> 				{
> 				// this will be true when the pwdRest attr is present on the user.
> 				// call your change password code here
> 				}
>

> 		}
>
> After the jsmith user changes their password (with their credentials) the pwdReset attribute
is removed from their entry.

>  Hope this helps.

from FALSE to TRUE does not have any effect. after server restart and using the typical LdapNetworkConnection.bind()
function, and response is marked with SUCCESS. also, despite very good description of pretty
much every password policy attribute on your doc site, there is absolutely nothing written
about this particular attribute.