directory-users mailing list archives

From John Strockmeyer <john.strockme...@gmail.com>
Subject bind response is too detailed
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:07:09 GMT
Hello. I have had this dilemma for some time now. The problem is that the
response following an unsuccessful bind contains too much information, and
there does not seem to be a way to break it down into individual parts. I
am using ApacheDS 2.0.0-M18, and its response consists of three parts that
I am interested in:
1) The very first line of a diagnostic message, which may look something
like this:
       *Diagnostic message : 'INVALID_CREDENTIALS: Bind failed: account was
permanently locked*
2) The exception stack that follows immediately after the line in 1.
3) Bind request, which is at the tail end of the response.

Here are my issues.
1) There is no way to isolate the first line, which should really be
equivalent to Exception.getMessage(). For instance, if some remote
web-based client fails to login into my web application, there is no way to
specifically notify him about the problem, as I am forced to send him the
entire three-part response, which is too much to display in a popup.
2) The exception stack should be retrieved the same way that all stacks are
instead of being part of the actual message.
3) The bind request portion at the end of the response contains a password
in cleartext. Typically I would not mind it. But since there is no way to
break down the response, I am forced to send this back to the client along
with the other two response parts, creating a possible security problem.

My question is if there is a way to retrieve individual portions of the
response? I have looked through the API and could not figure it out. If
there is no way, is there perhaps an intention in the future releases to
break the response down into the parts I mentioned earlier?

Thank you.