directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Compiling apachds for arm
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:27:13 GMT
On 12/23/2014 12:09 AM, John Shaver wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Stefan Seelmann
> <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>> I think there is no need to compile it for ARM. Java compiler produces
>> bytecode that is platform independent. So you can just compile on
>> another machine or just download the zip/tgz version and run it on the
>> ARM with right JVM. Or am I missing something?
>

> I thought so too, but I'm not too experienced with Java.  When I saw
> that it was requiring a compile after downloading, I assumed it was
> using some C++ magic somewhere (I see this alot with libraries in
> nodejs and python) and that it would need to be compiled for the
> machine.
>
> If I can just compile it on my laptop and copy over the installers,
> that'd be great!

If you download the binary zip/tgz [1] you just need to unpack, and
start with "bin/apacheds.sh start" (chmod +x first), no compilation
required. But I didn't test this on an ARM ;)

If you need the installer (like deb or rpm) that's another story.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://directory.apache.org/apacheds/download/download-archive.html