directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <>
Subject Re: Max Concurrent LDAP Connections to ApacheDS server
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:02:32 GMT
Le 01/08/2014 06:30, Nick Duan a écrit :
> We are in the process of evaluating various open source LDAPs and performing different
performance tests.   Has anyone done such performance testing?  We have implementing an identity
providers and we want to know how many concurrent users we can support.
> If I turn on the debugging mode in ApacheDS, would that indicates the number of connections
that open?

Again, this is not a good criteria. ApacheDS is based on NIO, which
multiplexes the connections across a few number of threads. You can have
millions of connections on the server, if none is active, the server
will be responsive. The real issue is with active connections (ie
connections where you have traffic). It's not because you can susyain
millions of conection that your server can handle the load. In fact it's
totally irrelevant.

Regarding the performances tests, I'd suggest you read

As you can see, ApacheDS is not the fastest LDAP server on earth. There
are many reasons for that, but mainly because the backend we are working
on is just slowatm, and we are working hard on replacing it. Also note
that the servers depening on a BerkeleyDB backen will sooner or later
have an issue with the license, as BDB licnese has recently changed and
is not anymore Open Source.

Hope it helps.

View raw message