directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transactionality of operations and triggers
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 14:42:33 GMT
Le 05/06/2014 14:53, jesper.spring@gmail.com a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> I have been looking through the documentation but not been able to establish whether
ApacheDS supports transactions of operations?

We will soon. It's a must, as otherwise we may have big trouble with
concurrent reads and writes, but we want to go farther.

The idea is to add the support of http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5805

> In continuation thereof, will a trigger be executed transactionally with the ldap operation
that caused it to trigger in the first place, or are there no guarantees, ie, one could have
a situation where the ldap operation succeeds but the trigger is never executed say due to
an ldap crash?
That's a completely different thing. Trigger can execute any kind of
modification or processing. But if a trigger is executed within a
transaction boundary, then if the trigger fails, we will just roll back
everything.

Keep in mind two things :
- we are still to finish the backend that will support transactions (ie,
mavibot)
- the trigger code is really experimental at this point.

In the near future, our roadmap is the following :
- finish the implementation of Mavibot (we have to add the cleanup of
pages that will never be used anymore. Currently, we have a backend
which grows without limit)
- implement http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5805
- cleanup the trigger code

There is a lot of work to be done ! (and of course, any help would be
appreciated ...)