directory-users mailing list archives

From Ernst Bech <Ernst.B...@caseris.de>
Subject Performance, 64Bit, IPv6, Reindexing
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:54:48 GMT
Hello,

We am currently evaluating ApacheDS 2.0.0-M16. We come from using OpenLDAP
for a few years and are considering of moving to ApacheDS. The main
reasons for this is that we hope that ApacheDS has the following features
(I am fairly new to Java development and to this forum. So some of my
questions may be noobish)

1. 64 Bit runtime on windows
2. IPv6 compatibility
3. Reliable Master Master replication

And this with comparable performance.

To 1. I have installed ApacheDS on windows 7 (64 Bit) with Java 64 Bit
engine. With that It seems that ApacheDS is running 64 bit out of the box.
Or am I missing something?
To 2. I have made an connection with Apache Directory Studio using an IPv6
address and it worked, so I assume no issues here right?
To 3. I cannot comment on Master Master replication as of yet.

Regarding performance:

While OpenLDAP was able to do an LDIF import of ~4000 entries in like 2
minutes it took ApacheDS several hours. Is it supposed to be like that or
are there ways to improve this?
And while importing concurrent searches are really slow. It will not be an
option to switch to an "In Memory" backend because we need the data to be
persistent through reboots.

Re-indexing:

I could not find information in the current documentation about how to do
this. Assume I had imported a bunch of data into ApacheDS and then decide
to add an attribute to the index table. I found I can do that with Apache
Directory Studio by editing the configuration or alternatively by editing
directly in the ou=config tree, down to ou=indexes in the partition of
choice.
But how is the re-indexing done? Is it done automatically? Or by
restarting the server? Or do I need to kick it off somehow? I believe
there was a tool for this at an early stage of ApacheDS but not anymore.

With regards,

Ernst Bech