directory-users mailing list archives

From Ernst Bech <Ernst.B...@caseris.de>
Subject Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: [ApacheDS] Slow search for a string starting with "*"
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:44:01 GMT
Ok I just did :)

DIRSERVER 1965

I hope I didn't mess up too bad ;)

With regards

Ernst Bech

Von:    Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
An:     users@directory.apache.org,
Datum:  24.03.2014 17:45
Betreff:        Re: Antwort: Re: [ApacheDS] Slow search for a string
starting with "*"

Le 3/24/14 4:26 PM, Ernst Bech a écrit :
> I have done a search for an unindexed attribut, another search for an
> unindexed attribute starting with a "*" and a search for an indexed
> attribute starting with a "*".
> All three took abount 5 secs on my hardware.
>
> So these test results seem to prove that the index is not used at all as

> you pointed out. Will this have a chance to be improved later?
> OpenLDAP has the ability to configure an index as substring index which
> improves also searches starting (not only ending) with a "*"
drastically.
> Is this possible which ApacheDS too?

This is defitively possible, and I would say it's easy to implement :
it's just a matter to create an index of the reverted value.

How does it work ? Let's say you add a value MY-TEST for the CN
attribute. The normal CN index will refer to TEST, when the reverse
index will refer to TSET-YM. Now, looking for *TEST is just searching
the reverted index for TSET*.

We have discussed this feature lengthly for years, but never decided to
implement it up to now.

It woul be cool to create a JIRA proposing to add this feature.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,