directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestions for troubleshooting filters.
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 07:47:58 GMT
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Mark D <temp1002@debusschere.com> wrote:

> Well, despite some self inflected pain and suffering I am feeling much
> better about using AD ;)
>
> First, it can't remain this way.  I think index should work just DB in the
> idea that it is
> in complete sync with row (data).  It should certainly rebuild / reindex
> on a restart, creation.
>
> we do perform this (in JdbmParition) for a _new_ index but not for
existing indices that
were disabled and enabled after creation.

> If a match is not found in the index it shouldn't go back an do an entire
> scan.
>
> nope this makes indices useless and search becomes a full scan all the time
the onus is on the administrator to fix the broken indices.

> I understand that is big under taking.  I did my best to figure this out
> in the docs.
> Until this gets resolved, an updated filter section in the docs with
> example would
> possibly save another person from frustration.

note that the issue you are facing is due to an incorrect index,
the server handles filters like (xxx=*) correctly even when there is no
index on 'xxx' attribute
(Emmanuel thought that there is a bug in the server in his previous reply,
but there is _no_ such
 bug in the server)

> Looking forward to better results !!
>
> I would suggest you to test the (xxx=*) filter on a brand new instance of
the server after injecting
some test data (you can even inject few entries in the default
dc=example,dc=com partition for this)
to verify

--
Kiran Ayyagari