directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Antwort: Re: [ApacheDS] Slow search for a string starting with "*"
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:37:41 GMT
Le 3/24/14 4:26 PM, Ernst Bech a écrit :
> I have done a search for an unindexed attribut, another search for an
> unindexed attribute starting with a "*" and a search for an indexed
> attribute starting with a "*".
> All three took abount 5 secs on my hardware.
>
> So these test results seem to prove that the index is not used at all as
> you pointed out. Will this have a chance to be improved later?
> OpenLDAP has the ability to configure an index as substring index which
> improves also searches starting (not only ending) with a "*" drastically.
> Is this possible which ApacheDS too?

This is defitively possible, and I would say it's easy to implement :
it's just a matter to create an index of the reverted value.

How does it work ? Let's say you add a value MY-TEST for the CN
attribute. The normal CN index will refer to TEST, when the reverse
index will refer to TSET-YM. Now, looking for *TEST is just searching
the reverted index for TSET*.

We have discussed this feature lengthly for years, but never decided to
implement it up to now.

It woul be cool to create a JIRA proposing to add this feature.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,