directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Feature Request: AutoIncrement fields
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:22:39 GMT
Le 2/12/14 5:20 PM, Ashton Davis a écrit :
> I run my Linux environment authentication from Directory Server, and so I use Posix users
and groups.  As I continue to add users to the system, I'm finding it to be an increasing
inconvenience to have to find the last UID I used and increment by one.  There are programmatic
ways to handle this, but none of them truly address the issue.  What we need is to have Directory
Server (and Directory Studio) handle incrementing numerical ID fields.
> There's already an RFC in existence: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4525
>
> Another "nice to have" would be enforcement of unique fields (uidNumber should be able
to be forced unique)

> Use case:
> I'm creating a new user for my linux environment.
> They get created as posixAccount, which requires uidNumber
> I give them their cn, gidNumber (which is one of two right now), homeDirectory, loginShell,
etc - nothing out of the ordinary.
> Then I get to uidNumber.  I have to make sure I know what uidNumber was used last.  Find
it.  Add one to it.  And hope nobody else has added users since I last did.

> Solution:
> Click uidNumber field -> check "auto-increment" and "unique"
> Once I save the entry, it creates a uidNumber for me and applies it to the field.
>
> I hope that's detailed enough.

It's detailed enough :-)

Although the right way to do that is to fill a JIRA. Hopefully, we
created this JIRA yesterday :

You can follow this one to get informed when it's done.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,