directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sizing and configuration of ApacheDS for production
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:58:59 GMT
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Jörg Maaß <joerg.maass@eacg.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> here’s a couple of questions or you savvy guys:
>
> We plan to use two ApacheDS servers in a multi master replication
> configuration with load balancers in front for a production setup.
> At present, we have about 30.000 entries in a domain in three trees. The
> trees are pretty flat, with a maximum depth of three layers (e.g.
> ou=bla,ou=blub,ou=whatever)
> The frontend server have a connection pool of 400 connections towards the
> LDAP servers each.
> All relevant attributes that are being looked up are indexed with an index
> size of 10000 each.
> The current number of nbthreads per server are 150.
> The search strategy is somewhat awkward: the application looks up an
> Orgunit and retrieves all child objects, then applies an AND filter to sort
> out the objects it needs.

like you said, it _is_, well may be that is based on the need however this
is likely to give the end users
a 'slow' feeling due to the filtering and re-search by the client(web
application?) even when server
performs each search better (w.r.t response time).

> The JVMs for ApacheDS have 2 GB memory each.

I would strongly suggest you to use the latest trunk(nothing to be scared
of, IMO it is stable enough,
and you can give a try in your test env) to utilize the recent changes done
in cache management
and this will definitely help in boosting the search performance in this
environment that is equipped
with good resources.

Please let us know if you run into any problems.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com