directory-users mailing list archives

From Jörg Maaß <joerg.ma...@eacg.de>
Subject Performance and Replication Questions
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:59:40 GMT
Dear all,

thanks or your kind and quick help so far. However, there are still questions open from our
side, and your help in answering them is greatly appreciated. We currently have the following
setup:
2 * Dell PowerEdge R815/II with 64 GB Memory and  2 * AMD Opteron 6172 with 12 Cores, 512k
Cache and 2.1 GHz, 4x600 GB SAS
ApacheDS 2.0 M15
Oracle JVM 1.7.0-25
Memory parameters for the ApacheDS JVM: -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m
30 nbthreads to handle the LDAP requests
Indexes on all attributes that are searched (created BEFORE the data was loaded, size 10000)
Ca. 20000 objects in the central partition
Cache size for the partition: 10000
Do you have any indication as to how many parallel BIND sessions and searches we can support
with such a setup? Is there a performance whitepaper of any sort for ApacheDS (or similar
information)? If so: where can we find it?

Additionally, we are experiencing regular trouble with replication in our Multi Master Replication
setup: If any of the servers is offline for a longer period of time, it will crash when booting
up again and will delete all information in the partition that is being replicated. Just this
weekend, the havoc was even greater: the partition was totally destroyed AND the server that
was online all the time refused to start ApacheDS again, because the partition data on disk
was destroyed.

Of course, we followed the published documentation when setting up the servers and have unique
replication IDs for our servers, etc. The system times are synchronized via NTP.

We where able to restore the data from backup, but this clearly disqualifies ApacheDS as a
production ready system.

Can you give us any hints as to avoid such a catastrophic scenario in the future?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Jörg Maaß
--