directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Studio]
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:20:26 GMT
Le 11/7/13 1:26 PM, ade a écrit :
> as a newbie I'm completely baffled by this also. The tutorial seems to
> contain a number of typos which stop someone of my LDAP level dead in their
> tracks!

This is certainly not a LDAP primer either. It's more about how to use
ApacheDS, assuming you have a minimum education on LDAP.

Sadly, it's hard to get this education anywhere, so we most certainly
have to improve the doco.

> Created a partition using & "o=SevenSeas,dc=com" o=sevenseas" and in both
> cases when trying to restart the server I keep getting a really useful --
>
> Starting ApacheDS instance 'default'...
> org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.exception.LdapOtherException:
> java.lang.Integer cannot be cast to java.lang.Long at
>
> which means absolutely nothing to me and I've no idea what to do now except
> reinstall again and literally guess what how to fix.

We have to add some note about such an error and what it does mean. But
more important, we should avoid providing such cryptic errors.

> I'm sure this is a great product but wasted so much time battling what
> probably is a very simple problem, maybe I should try another product unless
> someone can help and tell me what to try next?

The best is to ask here. You can try any other product, it's really up
to you here.

Let me tell you one thing : we are not perfect, far from it, and we
mostly depend on people wanting to help fixing those imperfections. This
is how it works. I know how frustrating it can be to face such
ridiculous problems, especiallay when you are a newbie. That's life.

Anyone can contribute, and it may even been some fix in the
documentation. This is not such a big effort. But it's up to you, again ;-)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,