directory-users mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Apache DS in OSGi
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 11:16:44 GMT
Hi Christian,

Indeed, we've done some experiments with OSGI in the past.

Unfortunately we didn't find the time to finish the implementation of a complete OSGI implementation
of ApacheDS.

The first part, the Apache  LDAP API is already fully OSGI and used with Apache Directory
Studio via OSGI for more almost 2 years now.

Some parts of ApacheDS work great as bundles and are also used within Apache Directory Studio
too (LDIF partition, Server Configuration, to name a few) but there are still some tasks to
fulfill to have a complete OSGI server.

Most of the ApacheDS code was written before thinking about OSGI, so there are still a lot
of packages shared between projects and we'd also like to maintain a non-OSGI version (which
complicates things quite a bit).

That said, I don't think we're so far from it. At the time of the experiment, we had a branch
with a running ApacheDS instance within Felix. Very rough, but it worked.
As we didn't have much to dedicate to it, we decided to push support for OSGI to ApacheDS
3.0.
Any help welcomed if you're interested in this area.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud