directory-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Apache DS in OSGi
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2013 06:57:23 GMT
Hi Pierre-Arnaud,

perhaps I can help with making Apache DS OSGi ready. The problem for me
is that I do not have detailed knowledge on the inner workings of Apache DS.
The normal distro also seems to only contain a single file. Is there
some overview somewhere which jars I need to pull up a minimal version
and how they are wired together / initialized?

Christian

On 05.09.2013 13:16, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Indeed, we've done some experiments with OSGI in the past.
>
> Unfortunately we didn't find the time to finish the implementation of a complete OSGI
implementation of ApacheDS.

> The first part, the Apache  LDAP API is already fully OSGI and used with Apache Directory
Studio via OSGI for more almost 2 years now.

> Some parts of ApacheDS work great as bundles and are also used within Apache Directory
Studio too (LDIF partition, Server Configuration, to name a few) but there are still some
tasks to fulfill to have a complete OSGI server.

> Most of the ApacheDS code was written before thinking about OSGI, so there are still
a lot of packages shared between projects and we'd also like to maintain a non-OSGI version
(which complicates things quite a bit).

> That said, I don't think we're so far from it. At the time of the experiment, we had
a branch with a running ApacheDS instance within Felix. Very rough, but it worked.
> As we didn't have much to dedicate to it, we decided to push support for OSGI to ApacheDS
3.0.
> Any help welcomed if you're interested in this area.
>
> Regards,
> Pierre-Arnaud
>

> On 3 sept. 2013, at 21:38, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to run Apache DS on OSGi. Is that already possible?
>> I saw that the jars already have bundle meta data and some posts that announce that
OSGi support is planned.

>> Christian
>>
>> --
>> Christian Schneider