directory-users mailing list archives

From <Carlo.Acco...@ibs-ag.com>
Subject RE: Advice on how to deal with SEARCH_RESULT_REFERENCE response in SearchCursor
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:29:54 GMT
I'd like to follow the referrals only when I'm not getting any SearchResultEntry types back
from the search. Meaning the cursor contains only SearchResultReference types.
I can manage that logic but do you do with the Reference? Do you add it to the original request
and search again or somehow use it to perform a new search? Thanks.

I like the idea about getting references back as Entries but we're expecting Entries to be
either users or groups.

Thanks! Carlo Accorsi

-----Original Message-----
From: ayyagarikiran@gmail.com [mailto:ayyagarikiran@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Kiran Ayyagari
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:21 AM
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Advice on how to deal with SEARCH_RESULT_REFERENCE response in SearchCursor

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We're trying to use the API with Active Directory.  Sometimes a search
> result includes a SEARCH_RESULT_REFERENCE..
> Even though I'm getting my result, I think this is telling me
> somewhere else I can go find it.
>
> I've never encountered this with ApacheDS as a server but in those
> cases it's a single stand alone machine.
>
> Any patterns or ideas about how to correctly handle this case are
> appreciated.  Thanks!
>

> Here is the search request..
>
> MessageType : SEARCH_REQUEST
> Message ID : 2
>     SearchRequest
>         baseDn : 'dc=qualitysys,dc=com'
>         filter : '(sAMAccountName=test.user)'
>         scope : whole subtree
>         typesOnly : false
>         Size Limit : 1
>         Time Limit : 10000
>         Deref Aliases : deref Always
>         attributes : '*'
> org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.message.SearchRequestImpl@6a8393b3
> <mailto:
> org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.message.SearchRequestImpl@6a8393b3
> >

> Value of Response response = cursor.get();
>
> MessageType : SEARCH_RESULT_REFERENCE
> Message ID : 2
>     Search Result Reference
>         References
>             'ldap://
> ForestDnsZones.qualitysys.com/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=qualitysys,DC=com'
>

> Here's the code I'm using.
>
>               List<Entry> lstEntries = new ArrayList<Entry>();
>               req.setSizeLimit(limit);
>               SearchCursor cursor = connection.search(req);
>               try
>               {
>                      int count = 0;
>                      while(cursor.next())
>                      {
>                            count++;
>                            Response response = cursor.get();
>
>                            Entry entry =
> ((SearchResultEntry)response).getEntry(); // Exception is thrown here.

here you need to handle the reference types (as the exception states) but if you don't want
to follow this referral (known as 'chasing') you can send a special control to tell the server
to return the reference types as SearchResultEntry types to do this you need to add the ManageDsaControl
e.x.

        ManageDsaITImpl managedsa = new ManageDsaITImpl();
        SearchRequest req = new SearchRequestImpl();
        req.addControl( managedsa );

then the below shown exception will not occur, but note that you may want to do this only
if you don't want to chase the referrals

>                            if (entry != null)
>                            {
>                                   lstEntries.add(entry);
>                            }
>                      }
>                      SearchResultDone done =
> cursor.getSearchResultDone();
>

> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.directory.api.ldap.codec.decorators.SearchResultReferenceDe
> corator
> cannot be cast to
> org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.message.SearchResultEntry
>         at
> com.ibsamericainc.dir.DirectoryServerConnection.getEntries(Unknown Source)
>         at
> com.ibsamericainc.dir.DirectoryServerConnection.searchEntries(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> com.ibsamericainc.dir.DirectoryServerConnection.searchEntries(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> com.ibsamericainc.dir.DirectoryServerConnection.searchEntry(Unknown Source)
>         at
> com.ibsamericainc.dir.DirectoryServerConnection.getEntryFromUsername(U
> nknown
> Source)
>         at
> com.ibsamericainc.dir.DirectoryServerConnection.getEntryFromUsername(U
> nknown
> Source)
>         at

Kiran Ayyagari