directory-users mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: DS schema export & import
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:05:01 GMT
We actually have a bit of that already (hidden and deactivated).

Rather than having to generate a LDIF to send the schema back to the server, we (almost) had
a working "prototype" that could commit modifications done on the server to the schema.

We had a nice UI where you could review all modifications done to the schema (modifications
on an OC/AT, addition of OC/AT, etc) but the hardest part is pushing the schema to the server
which is far from trivial.

Editing the schema of a directory server is very sensitive, especially if you already have
data using this schema. You could end up with data that doesn't respect the new schema in
the end.

At the time we wrote the "commit" functionality, our biggest problem was that ApacheDS didn't
allowed us (and it's still the case actually) to push the schema as a whole. So, we had to
send modifications in a particular order, which can be quite complicated depending on the
schema hierarchy.
So, in the end, we had to deactivate that part, but it's still there, waiting to be fixed/completed.

I like the idea of schema versioning. It could even take place on the client side than the
server side which would allow it to spread across multiple types of servers, not only ApacheDS.
But there's really a good amount of work to accomplish this.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud