directory-users mailing list archives

From Slavomir Kocka <slavomir.ko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apacheds @ 100% permanently
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 12:17:41 GMT
Thanks for response.

I'll write into your answers...

On Jul 9, 2013, at 13:33 , Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 7/9/13 12:35 PM, Slavomir Kocka a écrit :
>> The interesting point is, that we have two servers in mirror.
>> Not using replication from 2.0, but doing writes separately.
>> and the second server is just fine... In identical JVM and same hardware...
>> The difference is, that websphere uses first one as main source, and second, as spare...
>>
>> Few questions anyway.
>> 1. Where I set memory limits? I didn't change it, so currently "top" command shows
up to 2 GB RAM occupied by apacheds. Can you please point me out to doc, or just leave default?
We are not using swap.

> There is no configuration in ApacheDS per se, it's about the JVM memory

I understand that, I just found some commented settings in wrapper.conf. I'm running application
using command "/etc/init.d/apacheds-2.0.0_M14-default start".
So I'm not sure, where can I set JVM params, and if defaults are not sufficient...

> you set when you start the server (or websphere).
>> 2. I cannot give you exact numbers, only if I enable logs.
> Rough estimation is good enough. There is a huge difference between 2
> additions per second and 200...

I believe, now we have like 10 additions per second, if everything goes fine. If not, there
is like one addition per 30 seconds... :(
What we do is: We run 4 servers in parallel. Each of these servers is doing write sequentially.
So in general, there are 4 threads trying to write... As these writes are synchronous (we
do not start new write until old one finishes) amount of writes per second depends on apacheds
server response... We need at least 10 writes/s.

>> What I can say, that there are four parallel servers doing writes... And Whole cell
doing reads. So Writes up to 4 servers, reads up to 10 servers (4 as app reads, 10 as infrastructure
reads)
> FYI, you have to know that while a server is writing, nothing else can
> be done (including reads). If you have clients poudning the server with
> writes, then it's likely that the other clients will be blocked, and in
> this case, it might have some impact on the performances.

This is not completely clear to me. You say, that if I constantly write to LDAP, I cannot
read? I guess, that requests should be in queue, and when one write finishes, I should be
able to read, and so on...
So requests one by one (readings might be parallel).

Thanks.

regards,

Slavomir Kocka