directory-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Balcer <timo...@telmate.com>
Subject New ApacheDS admin.. some tips needed!
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 02:25:20 GMT
Hi folks. I am familiar with OpenLDAP, Kerberos, SASL, GSSAPI.. all the fun
things you need for transparent SSO in a heterogenous organization :) I'm
hitting a few walls here that I am guessing folks will be able to help me
around..so here goes.. and please feel free to point me at RTFM! I have hit
the google hammer quite a bit on these and have found very little to help.

First - Replication.

Ok.. I have done syncrepl wih OpenLDAP etc, but the draw for me in ApacheDS
was Multi-master (supposedly available in M12!). I have a need to have
several geographically distant LDAP masters operating simultaneously, and
this would be difficult otherwise. Problem: What am I missing? I setup
three ApacheDS servers running fine. I can connect to each. Lets call them
s1, s2 and s3. s1 is my local master, so first I setup Replication there,
using the configuration manager, and pointed it at s2 and s3. I set the
replication base to be dc=foo, dc=com.. saved the config .. made the
dc=foo,dc=com partition on the slaves by hand, and then restarted all 3
servers (s2 and s3 before s1).

Nada!

I created an entry on s1 under dc=foo, dc=com and nothing happened. After
some futzing around, I even managed to get the entry I created on s1 to
disappear from s1 (restarting the other servers and then restarting s1
again) which.. to say the least.. is a bit vexing.

So, do I need to setup some attributes on the other servers by hand? using
the standard LDIFs? I'm obviously missing something, but this is multi
master (I am told) and so I am guessing something is sort of working, since
the entry I created on s1 disappeared! Direction and hints as to process
are very appreciated!

--
Timothy Balcer / IT Services
Telmate / San Francisco, CA