directory-users mailing list archives

From Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from iPlanet to ApacheDS 2.0 server - Issue
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 15:59:43 GMT
On 04/06/13 16:25, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 6/4/13 4:52 PM, Brian Burch a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> The first thing is to see if the schema you are using on iPlanet is
>>> compatible with ApacheDS schema. This may require a bit of tuning. The
>>> second step would be to inject the 3 millions of entries into apacheds,
>>> which may take a while, with the current version (expect around 5 to 20
>>> hours, depending on which kind of disk and system you use).
>>
>> I migrated a fairly complex iPlanet directory to apacheDS 1.5 several
>> years ago.
>>
>> I clearly and painfully remember the most difficult task was setting
>> up new ACI's to properly replicated all the different permissions I
>> had in the iPlanet directory. The syntax and semantics are very
>> different. I did all my setup by creating individual ldif files, so
>> that I could experiment and test the outcome of the rules one by one.
>>
>> I already had all of my custom schema definitions as ldif's. Many of
>> them did not translate easily from iPlanet, but I could convert,
>> experiment and test those one by one too.
>>
>> Studio might be good for moving the people entries, but I recommend
>> building a set of ldifs to create the tree structure.
>>
>> I can remember having issues with some groups too, but nothing was too
>> difficult to convert successfully.
>>
>> My original iPlanet directory used master-slave replication. ApacheDS
>> 1.5 didn't have this feature working at the time, so I reverted to a
>> single master directory and implemented a snapshot backup regime. I
>> have not felt the need to experiment with replication on the 2.0
>> milestones. In fact, I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade to 2.0,
>> although I'm watching each milestone with interest and intend to use
>> it soon.
>>
>> I preferred to move from one java directory implementation to another.
>> At the time, I didn't feel conversion to openldap would have been any
>> simpler - although I can't be certain that I was correct.
>>
>> Good luck,
>
> Many thanks for this feedback, Brian !
>

> FTR, how many entries do you have in your server ?

Only a few hundred. The complexity comes from the fact that I designed
and created the original iPlanet directory for a customer with many
thousand entries and a sophisticated set of applications. I used the
same schema and architecture for my own installation because it allowed
me to develop and test away from their production environment. (I no
longer work for that organisation, but I believe they attempted to fold
the data and functions into Novell Directory and Microsoft ADS. I do not
know whether that effort was successful.)

I spent quite a lot of time working with Fedora Directory when the
product was taken over from iPlanet, but I never got it working to my
satisfaction... the more troublesome issues were associated with iPlanet
Certificate Management System, but I have subsequently migrated my own
CA to OpenSSL.

Regards,

Brian