directory-users mailing list archives

From Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from iPlanet to ApacheDS 2.0 server - Issue
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 14:52:50 GMT
On 04/06/13 14:53, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 6/4/13 8:36 AM, Titus Rakkesh a écrit :
>> Dear All,
>
> Hi,
>
>>      We have a live application which was running in iPlanet directory
>> server for the last 5 years and the LDAP is having around 3 million user
>> info stored in. Currently we are in a need of getting the clone of that
>> LDAP and migrate to ApacheDS 2.0 one. Simply saying our requirement is to
>> migrate all objects(schemas, roles, administrator accounts, Full User Store
>> data and everything) to ApacheDS. After the migration, we should be able to
>> redirect the application requests to the new LDAP without changing
>> application code.
>>
>> Pls direct us how we can do this?
> The first thing is to see if the schema you are using on iPlanet is
> compatible with ApacheDS schema. This may require a bit of tuning. The
> second step would be to inject the 3 millions of entries into apacheds,
> which may take a while, with the current version (expect around 5 to 20
> hours, depending on which kind of disk and system you use).

I migrated a fairly complex iPlanet directory to apacheDS 1.5 several
years ago.

I clearly and painfully remember the most difficult task was setting up
new ACI's to properly replicated all the different permissions I had in
the iPlanet directory. The syntax and semantics are very different. I
did all my setup by creating individual ldif files, so that I could
experiment and test the outcome of the rules one by one.

I already had all of my custom schema definitions as ldif's. Many of
them did not translate easily from iPlanet, but I could convert,
experiment and test those one by one too.

Studio might be good for moving the people entries, but I recommend
building a set of ldifs to create the tree structure.

I can remember having issues with some groups too, but nothing was too
difficult to convert successfully.

My original iPlanet directory used master-slave replication. ApacheDS
1.5 didn't have this feature working at the time, so I reverted to a
single master directory and implemented a snapshot backup regime. I have
not felt the need to experiment with replication on the 2.0 milestones.
In fact, I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade to 2.0, although I'm
watching each milestone with interest and intend to use it soon.

I preferred to move from one java directory implementation to another.
At the time, I didn't feel conversion to openldap would have been any
simpler - although I can't be certain that I was correct.

Good luck,

Brian