directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenLDAP to ApacheDS Migration | Help Needed
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:43:33 GMT
Le 4/29/13 11:18 AM, Tanguy tlrx a écrit :
> Hi Pradyumna,
>
> We encountered few bugs on ApacheDS 2.0.M11 (ex: server doesn't restart and
> need reinstall),
There is a serious bug that has been detected last week - and introduced
in M11 - that makes the backend unstable. Basically, using a schema with
some AttributeType without an Equality MatchingRule leads yo NPE which
breaks the backend. This bug has been fixed at the end of last week, and
a release is on its way.

> and we are currently evaluating the cost of migrating from
> ApacheDS 2.0.M11 to OpenLdap 2.24.

Hoperfully, it should not cost so much, as we tried to be as compatible
as possible with OpenLDAP.

Keep in mind that ApacheDS 2.0 is still very young. What I would suggest
here is pretty simple :
- if you need a 100% bullet proof server in production, with 24x7
service, and you feel uncertain that ApacheDS can fulfill your needs,
then OpenLDAP is certainly an alternative
- keep in mind that whatever server you will use, you may have issues.
This is part of the deal : you have to test what you use before going in
the wild
- in any case, consider your options carefully. There is no silver
bullets, and this is a changing world. We try to provide as much help as
possible, but at some point, you may need some support. Consider
contacting the people behing all those open source software, most of
them can provide support and deliver fixes fast anough.

In any case, even if you decide to switch to OpenLDAP, thanks a lot for
having used ApacheDS. In the mean time, I hope that the next versions
will solve the issues you are creently having :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,