directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Evaluating ApacheDS as part of a preemptive cache
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:12:56 GMT
Le 2/26/13 8:39 PM, Tom Bruser a écrit :
> [...]

GA is just a convention. The Apache Software Foundation moto is 'release
fast, release often', so even if we go for a GA, we will most certainly
have another release a few weeks/months after.

FTR, we have produced 11 releases for 2.0.0 in less than 2 years, that's
around a release every two months. Regarding the 1.5.7 version, it's
nearly 3 years old. 7940 commits have been done (out of 25783 since the
beginning of the project 8 years ago), so you can consider that 30% of
the code has ben changed : this is far from being minor...

But enough with the numbers : 1.5.7 was never considered as a "stable"
version. Here, "Stable" means the API is stable. In any case, every
version is supposed to be kind of 'good enough' to be used, except that
we always consider that the latest is the best one - until the next one.

WRT 2.0 version, we consider that the current milestones are probably
the last ones before we move to a RC1 (we may have one or two more
milestones before a RC1). We expect those milestones to be released in
the next 2 months.

> I apologize as I should have mentioned that
> this is for a mission critical system with up to a 250K user base if it
> makes a difference.  Is the current milestone release still the
> recommendation based on that?
Yes. Even if the current version will require a lot of time to load
those 250K entries (at 200 entries per second, count 1h more or less,
depending on the number of indexes you will have), it will deliver way
better performances than 1.5.7, but more important, it will be more
stable, and has less bugs.

One example : beside the replication that has been added 6 months ago,
we have now a mechanism that guarantee that the server can be restarted
even in case of a brutal crash. Concurrent modifications can be done -
something that failed in 1.5.7. And many other improvements...

Let face it : it's not perfect. It's not finished. But no piece of
software like that is perfect nor finished. We are doing our best to get
it better, that your guarantee :-)

Hoep it helps...

--
Regards,