directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating Partitions Programmatically (Java, as a Client)
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:52:44 GMT
Le 2/25/13 6:36 PM, charlie babitt a écrit :
> Hallo!
>
> My goal is to programmatically access the server and add partitions.
> Therefore I started reading
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/basic-ug/1.4.3-adding-partition.html
> where there's a chapter explaining exactly what I need. I understood
> the code outlined there however I still don't know how to get it
> started. I started by downloading the Java API.
> The sample starts with the following code:
> // Get the SchemaManager, we need it for this addition
> SchemaManager schemaManager = directoryService.getSchemaManager();
>
> But how do I get this connected to a server? I have the server running
> on a machine where I have user credentials, the endpoint and port to
> the server, but where can I get started?
> Can anyone give me a hint or point me to documentation, where I can
> find this? I already downloaded the source code and the tests of the
> directory, but as far as I interpreted them, they all start their own
> server. I however want to access an already running server as a
> client...
One important thing : the server can be either embedded, or standalone.

If the server is standalone, ie you access it though the network, you
won't be able to access any of its internal structure (ie, the
partitions etc). Every communication with the server will have to use
teh LDAP protocol.

So if this is what you are trying to do, this won't work.

OTOH, if you use an embedded server, you can start it, make it available
to anyone using the LDAP protocol, and still access the partitions.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,