directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <>
Subject Re: ApacheDS embedded Ldap server example?
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:46:44 GMT
Le 2/13/13 9:30 AM, Wolfgang Müller a écrit :
> Am 12.02.2013 17:43, schrieb Kiran Ayyagari:
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM, Wolfgang Müller
>> < <>> wrote:
>>     Thank you very much!
>>     In the meantime I got things running using
>>     as blueprint for my custom partition (I extend from AvlPartition now).
>>     One strange issue is left - I can create and add an AvlPartition with
>>     one or two RDNs, but not more. I.e. a partition with "dc=example,dc=com"
>>     works fine. But when I add an AvlPartition with
>>     "dc=department,dc=example,dc=com", trying to add an entry for
>>     "dc=example,dc=com" results in something like "no parent entry dc=com"
>>     found, although an entry for "dc=com" was added before.
>> you cannot add a normal(non-context/root) entry with  a DN
>> "dc=example,dc=com" under "dc=department,dc=example,dc=com" cause each
>> child entry should contain the parent's DN
>> for example, if you want to add an entry like "ou=myOrg" in under your
>> partition's context/root
>>  it's DN should be "ou=myOrg,dc=department,dc=example,dc=com"
> I see. I added dc=com as an Entry only because the AvlPartition for
> "dc=example,dc=com" did not let me add "dc=example,dc=com" without an
> Entry for dc=com. In the first place. Now, for some magic reason, I can
> omit dc=com.
There is no magic here.

When you create a Parition, you assign a suffix DN to it. Here, if you
created a "dc=example,dc=com" suffix to your partition, then this DN is
considered as  whole single element (ie, it is not necessary nor
possible to create a dc=com entry.

OTOH, if your partition suffix was dc=com, the in order to create a
dc=example,dc=com entry, you would frst have to create a dc=com entry
(the context entry).

This is plain normal, and works as expected. Although I agree that might
sounds weird...

Emmanuel Lécharny

View raw message