directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <>
Subject Re: - Time units for timeout
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:15:37 GMT
Le 2/6/13 7:01 PM, a écrit :
> OK If we're supposed to use milliseconds everywhere, not a problem. Needing smaller times
for testing makes sense.
> Just for clarification though, when calling  .setTimeLimit(intTimeout) in SearchRequestImpl
 this should be milliseconds?
No... Ldap specification says this is in seconds.

This is a different timeout.

Keep in mind that when the LDAP spec was produced, back in 1995,
computers where slow like death, and network were just even slower, even
cats with their 7 lives were barely able to survive in tis environments
(although now, they are really happy : we saw many LOL cats everywhere
on Internet !).

Having a below second timeouts for searches was considered back then as
optimistic as thinking that republicans will agree to ban machine guns...

Emmanuel Lécharny

View raw message