directory-users mailing list archives

From <Carlo.Acco...@ibs-ag.com>
Subject RE: LdapNetworkConnection.java - Time units for timeout
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:18:50 GMT
Hehe.. ok got it. Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:16 PM
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: LdapNetworkConnection.java - Time units for timeout

Le 2/6/13 7:01 PM, Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com a écrit :
> OK If we're supposed to use milliseconds everywhere, not a problem. Needing smaller times
for testing makes sense.

> Just for clarification though, when calling  .setTimeLimit(intTimeout) in SearchRequestImpl
 this should be milliseconds?
No... Ldap specification says this is in seconds.

This is a different timeout.

Keep in mind that when the LDAP spec was produced, back in 1995, computers where slow like
death, and network were just even slower, even cats with their 7 lives were barely able to
survive in tis environments (although now, they are really happy : we saw many LOL cats everywhere
on Internet !).

Having a below second timeouts for searches was considered back then as optimistic as thinking
that republicans will agree to ban machine guns...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,