directory-users mailing list archives

From <Carlo.Acco...@ibs-ag.com>
Subject RE: Trying to change password with Modify Request, 'Server will disconnect' LdapException thrown.
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 03:12:46 GMT
Oops.. you're right, that worked.  I thought the Dn used to establish the connection object
would be the entry changed on by the ModifyRequest.
Works as advertised. Thanks!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:25 PM
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Trying to change password with Modify Request, 'Server will disconnect' LdapException
thrown.

Le 2/4/13 3:05 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny a écrit :
> Le 2/3/13 11:28 PM, Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com a écrit :
>>                                 Entry entry = connection.lookup(dn);
>>               Attribute at = entry.get("userPassword");
>>               Modification mod = new DefaultModification(
>> ModificationOperation.REPLACE_ATTRIBUTE, at);
>>
>>                      ModifyRequest modRequest = new ModifyRequestImpl();
>>                      PasswordPolicy ctrl = new PasswordPolicyImpl();
>>                      modRequest.addControl(ctrl);
>>                      modRequest.addModification(mod);
>>                      ModifyResponse modResponse = connection.modify(modRequest);
// exception thrown here..
> I can reproduce the error. It seems that the request does not even get
> to the server, it's likelly an error while encoding the request.
>
> I'm invstigating it, looks like a bug in the Client API. More to come later.

Ok, not really a bug, but still, the error message is clearly not helping...

You havent set the MeodifyRequest's DN, so the encoding fails (NPE when trying to encode the
modifyRequest, because the DN is null).

Adding :

    modRequest.setName( dn );

solve the issue.

However, this is really not the right way to handle the NPE : we should generate a decent
error. I'll modify the client API so that such a NPE can't occur.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,