directory-users mailing list archives

From "Tom" ...@tombruser.com>
Subject Evaluating ApacheDS as part of a preemptive cache
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:28:55 GMT
I'm evaluating potential solutions for building a preemptive cache of user
profile and group information.  Basically, I'm looking to do the following:

1)      Build an in-memory preemptive (prepopulated) cache

2)      Make the data in the cache accessible and query able via LDAP to
support some legacy and 3rd party applications

3)      Create a simple yet efficient mechanism for managing dynamic groups

4)      Nice to have - ability to directly access the backing data without
using LDAP

I've considered several options involving ApacheDS, with the use of either
the included in-memory partition, DB partition based on HypersonicSQL or
Derby (using memory tables), or custom partition using pojos and maps.  I
also like the idea of being able to use MVEL for evaluating dynamic group
memberships since some of the group memberships could involve more than just
the target 'person' entity.  For example, someone could be a member of a
dynamic group because an attribute for that person's manager is of a certain
value.  I think I could accomplish that with a custom partition, but would
prefer an easier way if there is one that leverages more 'out of the box'
code.

Since I'm very new to ApacheDS and do not yet know how to size up what it
would take, I'm looking for suggestions or feedback that may help me to
narrow this down to some realistic and achievable results, or possibly
examples related to what I am trying to do that could help me understand
more about my options when it comes to partitions.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!