directory-users mailing list archives

From Jim Willeke <...@willeke.com>
Subject Re: Custom objects
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:28:32 GMT
We often use a really simple idea for string objects.
Create a custom "keyList" object.
named by cn.
The cn then is the key.

We add the "l, localityname" as a may attribute.

So we now have a entry like:
dn: cn=CR,ou=jobcodes,ou=EmpTypeCodes,ou=ouofours,o=org
cn: CR
l: 0384
l: 1137

So we can easily do a search like:
# command line : ldapsearch -h server.com -x .... -b
"ou=jobcodes,ou=EmpTypeCodes,ou=ouofours,o=org" -s sub -a always -z 1000
"(l=1137)" "cn"
where l is the value of the jobCode and it returns the cn value which is
the description.

This may not fit the specific conditions you need, but a lot can be done
with in the DIT structure by simple means.

--
-jim
Jim Willeke