directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS - Tanuki software JSW license
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 13:02:36 GMT
Le 5/21/12 11:03 AM, John Colvin a écrit :
> Hi
> ApacheDS ships with Tanuki software JSW which does not seem to be 'really'
> open source and not free to use and distribute.
The version we are using (3.2.3) has a liberal license :

"Copyright (c) 1999, 2006 Tanuki Software, Inc.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of the Java Service Wrapper and associated
documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software
without  restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sub-license,
and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to
whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the
following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT
HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Portions of the Software have been derived from source code
developed by Silver Egg Technology under the following license:

BEGIN Silver Egg Techology License -----------------------------------

     Copyright (c) 2001 Silver Egg Technology

     Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
     obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
[...]

END Silver Egg Techology License -------------------------------------"

This has been changed in 3.3.0, and this is the reason we haven't
upgraded to a newer version.
> I would like to do a custom
> build and distribute ApacheDS with some interceptors and configuration
> bundled within the installation archive, including the linux bin and
> windows exe installers, but looking at the Tanuki software license I don't
> think I can do this without paying for licenses.
If you keep using 3.2.3, you still can.

>   Is there any plans in the
> future to remove JSW and replace it with Apache commons-daemon like what is
> used in Tomcat?
Definitively, yes. This is just a matter of time.
> Is having a 3rd party dependency that can may incur license
> costs really in the the spirit of Apache??
The AL 2.0 license allows you to do whatever you want. That means you
can include ApacheDS in your product, and sell it. The AL 2.0 license
has been designed for this purpose. Just be sure that you read and
fulfill the mandatory parts of the AL 2.0 license before release
anything though...

Now, if you feel like contributing to the project, please join us ! This
is a community effort, and being part of the common effort is way more
in the ASF spirit than anything else :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,