directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] subschema subentries and DIT structure rules etc.
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:52:22 GMT
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Karl Weber <karl.weber99@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as far as I read in the documentation for ApacheDS 1.5.7, ApacheDS does
> support subentries according to RFC 3672 with the exception of subschema
> subentries.

Yes it does and so will all other implementations to come like 2.0 below.

> Is this still valid for the current 2.0.0 milestone? Unfortunately the
> links
> to the documentation are broken. The support of subschema subentries has
> been
> announced in the 1.5.7 documentation for the "future"...

We need help with docs :).

> Does ApacheDS support DIT structure rules and DIT content rules?

Unfortunately it has all the machinery but enforcement of these rules don't
take place and that peeves me a great deal. For really great schema design
these are a must. Unfortunately many don't understand just how important
these are including NameForms for carving out the namespace properly.

> The
> documentation for 1.5.7 claims that ApacheDS is RFC 4512 compliant, however
> support for these rules is optional, so some clarification is needed.

Yes we may have falsely advertised this if these features are required.

> Furthermore, in order to use DIT structure rules, administrative areas with
> there own subschemas would make sence. (DIT structure rules do not have
> global
> OIDs but only integer IDs which have to be unique within the controlling
> schema.) Furthermore, quote of RFC 4512:
>
>        If no superior rules are identified, the DIT structure rule applies
>        to an autonomous administrative point (e.g., the root vertex of the
>        subtree controlled by the subschema) [X.501].

Schema right now applies globally to the entire DIT and I don't like this
myself. However it's really hard to make it work with AAP and IAPs. I hope
we get to this at some point.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex