directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plea for help with search performance
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:47:18 GMT
Le 4/11/12 4:31 PM, Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com a écrit :
> Hi, we have a project has 80,000 users in one OU. This is a requirement.
Hmm, you mean 80 000 entries under ou=something, I guess ?

Like :

cn=user1, ou=something
cn=user2, ou=something
cn=user80000, ou=something

?

> With guidance from this group, I've tried dozens of combinations of indexing attributes,
setting their cache sizes,
> increasing the partition caches, timeout settings, etc.
>
> We're using the 64 bit java  service wrapper and have given the JVM 5GB of memory.
> Despite this, we still have 20+ second response times when searching on displayName and
employeeNumber .
> This is consistent with multiple ldap clients.
That's not normal. It should be immediate.

Can you tell us what kind of request you send to the server ?

Also what kind of network configuration are you going through (firewall,
etc). It would be interesting to see if you get the same 'level' of
(un)performance if you do the search on the server.

> Every time we've made configuration or index changes, it's been to a clean empty system
and then we load our LDIF file with the 80k users.

> You've all been very helpful to us but we're backed into wall with this.
> The response times are unacceptable and we don't know what else we can do.
Yeah, I understand. It's definitively not acceptable, and we never had
such performances on our tests, even with 5 000 000 entries under one
single branch.

> Could someone provide us with an idea of how to configure the system to get the best
performance when searching
> for displayName and employeeNumber? The displayName lengths are up to 80 characters,
the employeeNumber is 25.
The best thing is certainly to index those two attributes. You might
also face a bug. Which version of the server are you using ?

Thanks !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,