directory-users mailing list archives

From <Carlo.Acco...@ibs-ag.com>
Subject RE: Plea for help with search performance
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:07:14 GMT
Hi, answers below.
-----Original Message-----
From: ayyagarikiran@gmail.com [mailto:ayyagarikiran@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Kiran Ayyagari
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:55 AM
To: users@directory.apache.org
Cc: McGillivray, Neil
Subject: Re: Plea for help with search performance

can you provide a little more info:

1. version of the server (ApacheDS windows 2.0.0-M6)
2. OS version Windows 2008 DataCenter / 24 GB memory.
3. what is the ~size of each entry  - Don't know how to determine the size but in the previous
email I included a LDIF entry. I'm not storing jpeg data, certificates, anything with any
length. Just simple text and numeric attributes.

and finally are you using filters with exact match or substring match?
Not sure understand ..  I search exact and substring like this:
(employeeNumber =jsmith)  <- this is exact
(displayName =Smith, J*)  <- this is substring

Is there a way to specify that the input is an exact match or a substring, or does the parser
know that if the value has * on the end, then it's a substring?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM,  <Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com> wrote:
> Hi, we have a project has 80,000 users in one OU. This is a requirement.
>
> With guidance from this group, I've tried dozens of combinations of
> indexing attributes, setting their cache sizes, increasing the partition caches, timeout
settings, etc.

> We're using the 64 bit java  service wrapper and have given the JVM 5GB of memory.
> Despite this, we still have 20+ second response times when searching on displayName and
employeeNumber .
> This is consistent with multiple ldap clients.
>
> Every time we've made configuration or index changes, it's been to a clean empty system
and then we load our LDIF file with the 80k users.

> You've all been very helpful to us but we're backed into wall with this.
> The response times are unacceptable and we don't know what else we can do.
>
> Could someone provide us with an idea of how to configure the system
> to get the best performance when searching for displayName and employeeNumber? The displayName
lengths are up to 80 characters, the employeeNumber is 25.

--
Kiran Ayyagari