directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheDS on windows 64 bit?
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:46:16 GMT
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Darko Hojnik <hojnik@virtualizing.org>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Am Samstag, den 31.03.2012, 02:50 +0300 schrieb Alex Karasulu:
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 2:29 AM, <Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm looking to allocate ~3GB of memory to the JVM apache ds runs in
>  but I
> > > can't do that on 32 bit. The tankui 64bit service wrapper is not a free
> > > software.
> > >

> > Don't we have a 64-bit distribution with the Tanuki wrapper? I thought we
> > did using an earlier release that was still free.
> >

> > > I'm looking for free alternative to run apacheDS 2.0 on windows 64
> bit. I
> > > see how one could perhaps use procrun, the wrapper used for managing,
> > >  starting & stopping tomcat to achieve this.
> > > Although I have not found working examples of this anywhere. Anyone
> have
> > > ideas about this? Thanks and have a nice weekend. Carlo Accorsi.
> > >

> > Carlos we have installers for 64-bit environments for example see here:
> >

> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/download/download-linux-deb.html
> >

> I'm still hoping about support for JSVC. It is an Apache Projekt and
> smashes Taniku to dust.

:-)

When I originally wrote the installers I used jsvc and procrun with a
convenient framework to add any kind of daemon launcher. At that time,
maybe about 8-9 years ago, commons-daemon seemed like a solid option, but
then the Tanuki Wrapper started overtaking commons-daemon due to a lack of
developers but Tanuki's commercialization and turning it's back on the OS
community lead to a resurgence in commons-daemon activity.

Now commons-daemon looks like a good alternative and perhaps something we
should eventually switch to.

> You could run it on Linux, Unix or FreeBSD. It could run Apache DS on
> Port 389 and 88 without privileges of rootuser.

That's definitely a nice feature.

> Also it works with Apache James and Apache Tomcat very fine.

Right it was originally written for Tomcat at the time of inception.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex