directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quesiton about best way to index attributes
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 06:14:40 GMT
Le 2/29/12 7:50 PM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM,<Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com>  wrote:
>> Hi, We have  apacheds 2.0-M5 db setup with all  ~90k users under one OU. Yes, I know
they should be stored with some hierarchy but that's not an option for this
>> particular customer.
Having 90K users in one single OU is *not* a bad practice. You may want
to setup a hierarchy, but this is not mandatory.

>>   I want to optimize searching by lastname, (sn), firstname (givenName) and displayName.
I have created indexes under the partition and
>> we see ads-indexcachesize is set by default to 100. Assuming the value correlates
to a value for the attribute,  Can I set this to 50,000 for each of the attribs?.
> that won't help much, setting up more memory for the JVM will help
You still can increase the number to a higher value, but you must know
that as soon as the higher BTree pages will be loaded, the speedup will
be lower. With 100 pages loaded, you have most of the BTree loaded.

If you have enough memory, just increase this value to 50 000, should
not harm.

In any case, I would suggest that once you have increased those values
for each index that you do a full search to load all of them in memory,
to check that you don't get an OOM, before running in production.

> Also, is there a way to rebuild the indexes in 2.0? I can't seem to find how that's done.
>
> no, one way is to delete the index and restart the server followed by
> adding the index and restart, then the server will automatically build
> the index
> during startup
Kiran : haven't we added some utility tool to do that ? (It's a bit far
in the past.. If we don't have them, we must add them)

I'm wondering if we don't have a JIRA for that...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,