directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quesiton about best way to index attributes
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:50:53 GMT
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM,  <Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com> wrote:
> Hi, We have  apacheds 2.0-M5 db setup with all  ~90k users under one OU. Yes, I know
they should be stored with some hierarchy but that's not an option for this
> particular customer.  I want to optimize searching by lastname, (sn), firstname (givenName)
and displayName. I have created indexes under the partition and
> we see ads-indexcachesize is set by default to 100. Assuming the value correlates to
a value for the attribute,  Can I set this to 50,000 for each of the attribs?.
that won't help much, setting up more memory for the JVM will help
> I can dedicate ~1GB of heap space for the ApacheDS JVM.

cool, then set the -Xms and -Xmx  flags in the java options
> Also, is there a way to rebuild the indexes in 2.0? I can't seem to find how that's done.

no, one way is to delete the index and restart the server followed by
adding the index and restart, then the server will automatically build
the index
during startup
> For example In the UI someone might enter "Smit" looking for Smith.
>
> This gets converted into the following query with the OU as the baseDN.
>
> (&
>  (objectclass=inetOrgPerson)
>  (|
>    (displayname=Smit*)
>    (sn=Smit*)
>    (givenName=Smit*)
>   )
> )
>
> Lastly, would we be better off performing three separate queries (for displayname,sn,givenName)
or will the logical OR search above break the moment it finds a match? Thanks.
the logical OR breaks as soon as it finds a match

--
Kiran Ayyagari