directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom schema objects
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:50:25 GMT
On 2/1/12 11:19 AM, Christoph Czurda wrote:

> On 01/10/2012 01:47 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>> to mention it quickly, new schema elements cannot be registered using
>> connection.loadSchema()
>> you need to upload the new schema elements to the server.
>>
>> Please search the ML, this was already answered before.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry but I can't get this to work. I will explain every step I
> took. Please try to explain to me also step by step what I'm missing. If
> you are unclear about what I did at some point, please ask. I really
> want to get this working.
>
> I used the schema editor from Directory Studio and created a new schema
> project. In the project I included the already existing schemas 'java',
> 'core' and 'system'. Next I created a new schema called 'openengsb'. I
> created my attributetypes and objectclasses. Then I clicked 'export
> schema for Apacheds'. Then I connected to the server and imported the
> ldif. The schema is now under cn=openengsb,ou=schema. I can also create
> entries from my schema objects.
>
> However, in my application I can use my own schema objects ONLY if I
> don't use connection.loadSchema(). I know that loadSchema() only loads
> the default schemas that are bundled with the api. But how can I make my
> application aware of my schema / load my own schema?

It's a bit complicated. Right now, there is no way in the API to inject
your own schema into the connection. This was not clear when the method
name was loadSchema, so it was renamed to loadDefaultSchema().

We are working to add such a feature to the api, so that you can inject
your own schema elements locally.

Not that it's really complicated - all in all, we are using the exact
same underlying code on the API and on the server to manage schema -
it's just that we need to extend the API.

This is something we are working on this week.
May I suggested that you create a JIRA requesting that we extend the API
by adding a way to create a new schema, and to allow the injection of
shcema elements into it (AT, OC, etc) ?

Thanks !

--
Regards,