directory-users mailing list archives

From <Carlo.Acco...@ibs-ag.com>
Subject Quesiton about best way to index attributes
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:14:04 GMT
Hi, We have  apacheds 2.0-M5 db setup with all  ~90k users under one OU. Yes, I know they should
be stored with some hierarchy but that's not an option for this
particular customer.  I want to optimize searching by lastname, (sn), firstname (givenName)
and displayName. I have created indexes under the partition and
we see ads-indexcachesize is set by default to 100. Assuming the value correlates to a value
for the attribute,  Can I set this to 50,000 for each of the attribs?.
I can dedicate ~1GB of heap space for the ApacheDS JVM.

Also, is there a way to rebuild the indexes in 2.0? I can't seem to find how that's done.

For example In the UI someone might enter "Smit" looking for Smith.

This gets converted into the following query with the OU as the baseDN.

(&
  (objectclass=inetOrgPerson)
  (|
    (displayname=Smit*)
    (sn=Smit*)
    (givenName=Smit*)
   )
)

Lastly, would we be better off performing three separate queries (for displayname,sn,givenName)
or will the logical OR search above break the moment it finds a match? Thanks.