directory-users mailing list archives

From Ross West <ross-l...@crsnetworks.ca>
Subject Re: [doc] apacheds v2.0 docs
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 22:53:13 GMT
Okay, I'm about half way through doing up a set of docs based upon
v2.0.0-M3 (I'll update to -M5 shortly), and just wanted to throw a
couple of things "out there" for comments before I'm way too far to fix
things.  This has morphed from the simpler docs I was thinking about
earlier to a much larger thing.

- Off the top: I've combined the two user guides (basic + advanced) into
a single "admin" guide (lots of cut'n'paste done).  My focus is solidly
on the system administration side of running a v2.0+ server as stable as
possible and knowing what knobs to tweak in the configs.

- confluence layout: Currently I'm just keeping the current book.txt
layout that's being used in the svn checkout I've got. I see in
jira:DIRSERVER-1678 that there's thought in going to a chapter style
layout for filenames.  Did this go any further, or is it "writer's
choice" for the time being?

- Is the Directory Studio app considered the best/true way of
configuring ApacheDS, or should I basically ignore it's built in
configuration system and go with generic ldap instructions?

- NTP, HTTP, DNS servers: Are these actually part of the system, or
really just proof of concept type services that aren't really used in
day to day ops (Ie: Do I attempt to document them or tell people to just
keep them disabled)

- Tanuki Java Service Wrapper - I'm assuming this is the community
edition that gets installed?  [I'm just going over logging options]

I think that's it for the moment, but I'm sure I'll have more later.

Cheers,
  Ross.