directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: Indexing performance
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:11:59 GMT
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <>wrote:

> On 10/5/11 1:29 PM, Craig Setera wrote:
>> In my recent conversations about indexing, I was having problems with
>> indexing.  I've managed to get it to work locally, but others are having
>> trouble replicating my working instance.
>> My question to the group isn't related to that, but to the performance I'm
>> seeing when the indexes are working locally for me.  What should I expect
>> see in terms of performance difference with the indexing in place?  I've
>> created a script that uses ldapsearch to search for 10 entries 10 times
>> and
>> I'm actually seeing mixed results where sometimes it is actually *slower*
>> with the indexing in place:
Also the entry cache to DIB size ratio is important as well. If you're
keeping every entry cached yet your index is not cached then performance can
theoretically decrease with an index that has to keep hitting the disk.
 Right now the way we deal with caching there is no clear way to tune this
optimally: it's a mater of experimentation with tweaks to the entry cache
and index caches.

Best Regards,
-- Alex