directory-users mailing list archives

From Craig Setera <cr...@mfoundry.com>
Subject Performance issues and strange logs
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:24:36 GMT
Hello,

Last week I was asking about indexing and performance gains from those
indexes.  The question stemmed from some performance problems that we are
currently having in our environment.  In that environment, we are seeing
extremely poor performance and Apache DS getting bogged down after a
relatively small number of connections (under 100).  When that happens, the
connections start to "stack up" and eventually time out.  I was surprised by
the performance, but was looking at things like indexing and disabling sync
on write as ways to improve the situation.

Now, I've received some logs from testing and I'm beginning to wonder if
there is something else going on.  I'm seeing many entries in the logs that
look like:

[18:27:52] WARN [org.apache.directory.server.ldap.LdapSession] -
AbandonableRequest with messageId 2 not found in outstandingRequests.
[18:27:53] WARN [org.apache.directory.shared.asn1.ber.Asn1Decoder] - The PDU
has been fully decoded but there are still bytes in the buffer.
[18:27:53] WARN [org.apache.directory.shared.asn1.ber.Asn1Decoder] - The PDU
has been fully decoded but there are still bytes in the buffer.
[18:27:53] WARN [org.apache.directory.server.ldap.LdapSession] -
AbandonableRequest with messageId 2 not found in outstandingRequests.
[18:27:53] WARN [org.apache.directory.shared.asn1.ber.Asn1Decoder] - The PDU
has been fully decoded but there are still bytes in the buffer.
[18:27:53] WARN [org.apache.directory.shared.asn1.ber.Asn1Decoder] - The PDU
has been fully decoded but there are still bytes in the buffer.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something else going on here that isn't
purely about "performance"... something that is causing the server to freak
out a bit and stack up the connections.  Can anyone offer any insights into
what these errors might mean and if they might be contributing to
performance issues?

Thanks,
Craig

--