directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to create multiple instances of ApacheDS V2 on one machine
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 20:08:51 GMT
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Steve Hayden <hshayden@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have not been able to find instructions on how to create multiple instances of ApacheDS
V2 on one machine, so attempted to do so on my own, and would like a "sanity check" (or correction(s)
if needed).

> To assure I have created/started the servers properly, please give me a sanity check
on my method.

> 1) I made a copy of the folder "~\ApacheDS\instances\default", and copied that whole
folder hierarchy to another folder.

> 2)
>  In the new "ApacheDS\instances" folder I made a copy of the "default"
> folder, renamed it "instances\ApacheDS_Server2" (the "master"), and in
> the "instances\ApacheDS_Server2\conf\config.ldif" file, changed the
> "ads-systemport" to the following:
>
> dn: ads-transportid=ldap,ou=transports,ads-serverId=ldapServer,ou=servers,ads-directoryServiceId=default,ou=config
> ads-systemport: 20389
>
> 3) I successfully started this server by (from CLI prompt) issuing the command:
>
> java -jar apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar instances/ApacheDS_Server2/
>
> and could successfully connect to it with Apache Directory Studio using the port 20389.
>
> 4)
>  I repeated step 2 above and created a new instance
> "instances\ApacheDS_Server3" (the "slave"), and changed it's
> "ads-systemport" to the following:
>
> dn: ads-transportid=ldap,ou=transports,ads-serverId=ldapServer,ou=servers,ads-directoryServiceId=default,ou=config
> ads-systemport: 30389
>
> And started this server by (from CLI prompt) issuing the command:
>
> java -jar apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar instances/ApacheDS_Server3/
>

> and could successfully connect to it with Apache Directory Studio using the port 30389

this is all valid so far
> Upon review
> of what I had done in the above steps, I noticed that in the
> "config.ldif" files for each server, there were several occurrences of the text
> "default", so was wondering if I should have replaced all occurrences of "ads-directoryServiceId=default"
with
> "ads-directoryServiceId=ApacheDS_Server2" for the "master", (and
> "ApacheDS_Server3" for the slave) in it's "config.ldif" file).

no need to do that, this *default* is for the default settings of the
each individual instance, no need to change them
and changing them is highly discouraged.

--
Kiran Ayyagari