directory-users mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question regarding migration from ApachDS 1.5.5 to 2.0
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:39:32 GMT
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Steve Hayden <hshayden@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are in the process of migrating from ApacheDS 1.5.5 to ApacheDS 2.0, and are seeing
a lot of exceptions with regard to the following imports/etc (the following is actually a
subset of the errors we are seeing, which are mostly "cannot be resolved"):

> import org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.ServerEntry;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapNameAlreadyBoundException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.ExprNode;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.FilterParser;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.SearchScope;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message.AliasDerefMode;
>
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.filtering.EntryFilteringCursor;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Entry;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.EntryAttribute;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Modification;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.ModificationOperation;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.Value;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.client.ClientModification;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.entry.client.DefaultClientAttribute;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapAttributeInUseException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapNameNotFoundException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.name.LdapDN;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapContextNotEmptyException;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.schema.AttributeType;
>
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.constants.SchemaConstants;
>

> I can find most of these classes/etc. in the JAR "apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar", but
they seem to be in different folder/directory structure (e.g. the old "org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.filter.FilterParser"
is now in "/apache/directory/shared/ldap/model/filter/FilterParser"), however, other classes
(seem) to have been totally rewritten (e.g. "org.apache.directory.server.core.entry.ServerEntry"
now (seems) to be "

> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryFactory" with other associated class
files (./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryFactory.class
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils$1.class
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils$2.class
> ./apache/directory/server/core/entry/ServerEntryUtils.class
>

> (we created some of our code based on examples found on the web for Apache 1.5.5).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a "migration path" from earlier to current versions?
sadly no
> 2) What classes have simply been "relocated" within the path hierarchy, and what have
been radically re-written (see next question)?
most of the classes were mainly renamed or relocated, not much change
in terms of implementation
> 3) Given we have written code using as examples what we found on the web, is it a radical
re-write to migrate From ApacheDS 1.5.x to ApacheDS 2.0?

I would suggest to put the migration on hold till at least 2.0.0-M4
comes out cause there is currently a lot of package reorganization is
happening

--
Kiran Ayyagari