directory-users mailing list archives

From Steve Hayden <hshay...@yahoo.com>
Subject How to create multiple instances of ApacheDS V2 on one machine
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 19:36:54 GMT
Greetings,

I have not been able to find instructions on how to create multiple instances of ApacheDS
V2 on one machine, so attempted to do so on my own, and would like a "sanity check" (or correction(s)
if needed).

To assure I have created/started the servers properly, please give me a sanity check on my
method.

1) I made a copy of the folder "~\ApacheDS\instances\default", and copied that whole folder
hierarchy to another folder.

2)
 In the new "ApacheDS\instances" folder I made a copy of the "default"
folder, renamed it "instances\ApacheDS_Server2" (the "master"), and in
the "instances\ApacheDS_Server2\conf\config.ldif" file, changed the
"ads-systemport" to the following:

dn: ads-transportid=ldap,ou=transports,ads-serverId=ldapServer,ou=servers,ads-directoryServiceId=default,ou=config
ads-systemport: 20389

3) I successfully started this server by (from CLI prompt) issuing the command:

java -jar apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar instances/ApacheDS_Server2/

and could successfully connect to it with Apache Directory Studio using the port 20389.

4)
 I repeated step 2 above and created a new instance
"instances\ApacheDS_Server3" (the "slave"), and changed it's
"ads-systemport" to the following:

dn: ads-transportid=ldap,ou=transports,ads-serverId=ldapServer,ou=servers,ads-directoryServiceId=default,ou=config
ads-systemport: 30389

And started this server by (from CLI prompt) issuing the command:

java -jar apacheds-service-2.0.0-M3.jar instances/ApacheDS_Server3/

and could successfully connect to it with Apache Directory Studio using the port 30389

Upon review
of what I had done in the above steps, I noticed that in the
"config.ldif" files for each server, there were several occurrences of the text
"default", so was wondering if I should have replaced all occurrences of "ads-directoryServiceId=default"
with
"ads-directoryServiceId=ApacheDS_Server2" for the "master", (and
"ApacheDS_Server3" for the slave) in it's "config.ldif" file).

Thanks in advance for any insight/correction/comments.

Kindest regards,
Steve