directory-users mailing list archives

From Manish Kutaula <manish.kuta...@tcs.com>
Subject Re: Storing conference room details, advice needed
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:15:59 GMT
Thanks a lot jim,
that was really very helpful.

I wish I could buy you a beer, great sir
Cheers!!

From:
Jim Willeke <jim@willeke.com>
To:
users@directory.apache.org
Date:
06/15/2011 04:27 PM
Re: Storing conference room details, advice needed

A an example, assume we have a conference roomName: sabertooth
DN: roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke
roomName: saberTooth
capacity: 221
availability: active
location: somewhere
building: U8
floor: 3
resources: cn=scanner,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke
resources: cn=projector,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke

We also have a resource:

DN: cn=scanner,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke

cn: scanner

location: roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke

networkAddress: 192.168.4.5

 ou: butler

 o: willeke

owner: cn=jim,ou=butler,o=willeke

serialNumber: X345YD

The location on the resource could be a reciprocal attribute to the
resources attribute on the conference room.
This allows knowing where the resources are by viewing the resource and
what
resources are in the room by viewing the conference room.

A perhaps better method would be to only use the location on the resource
and then a query (location=roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke) form an appropriate searchBase would
show
all the resources assigned to the room.

The construction of schema frameworks such as this is very similar to the
construction of a proper database schema. Both of which is a bit of a mix
of
science, art, and experience.

-jim
Jim Willeke