directory-users mailing list archives

From Jim Willeke <...@willeke.com>
Subject Re: Storing conference room details, advice needed
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:56:55 GMT
A an example, assume we have a conference roomName: sabertooth
DN: roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke
roomName: saberTooth
capacity: 221
availability: active
location: somewhere
building: U8
floor: 3
resources: cn=scanner,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke
resources: cn=projector,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke

We also have a resource:

DN: cn=scanner,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke

cn: scanner

location: roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke

networkAddress: 192.168.4.5

 ou: butler

 o: willeke

owner: cn=jim,ou=butler,o=willeke

serialNumber: X345YD

The location on the resource could be a reciprocal attribute to the
resources attribute on the conference room.
This allows knowing where the resources are by viewing the resource and what
resources are in the room by viewing the conference room.

A perhaps better method would be to only use the location on the resource
and then a query (location=roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke) form an appropriate searchBase would show
all the resources assigned to the room.

The construction of schema frameworks such as this is very similar to the
construction of a proper database schema. Both of which is a bit of a mix of
science, art, and experience.

-jim
Jim Willeke